This wiki is based on the original action plan available here discuss.fsftn.org/t/action-plan-for-est...
This workflow is designed considering the point of view of an independent individual interested in meshnet. It is guide for him to setup and maintain a meshlocal mostly by himself, without external help.
- Find a personal reason for involvement in the meshnet project by reading and understanding the Why? section
- Go through a brief documentation and manifesto, to understand the How?
- Join our forum for posting questions ( or through email )
- Know what he needs to setup a meshlocal through our starter kit (documentation, tutorials)
- Get a router based on “the list” of recommended devices
- Flash our custom firmware
- Deal with hardware and software issues and other practical problems like proper outdoor placement of router, by following our practical guide
- Bring some Use-value to the network by provide free services to people (file sharing, local wikipedia, social networking, killer apps, etc,)
- Increase Use-value by setting up E-book library of books that are Nationalized (or) available under Public Domain / Creative Commons
- Host a webpage for mesh local ( based on the template provided by us )
- Get a copy of the poster (Free WiFi : PYMESH) from us and put it up
- Advertise the network further, by distributing pamphlets and spreading the word in the neighborhood
- Involve tech enthusiasts, programmers in the neighborhood in the project
- Evangelize meshnet philosophy
- Form a local community mesh by gradually adding peers, one by one, based on demand for services
- Identify neighbors from various domains (art, music, education, politics, commerce, etc.,) and create a space for them to share their creations and find the works shared by others
- Document and share the experience
- Attend meshnet meetups regularly and also invite enthusiastic neighbors, to discuss the issues in his neighborhood and solve them as a group
- Setup (2 or 3) directional antennas to connect to the other mesh locals in the city
- Propagate the advantages of using P2P apps like Serval’s Batphone, diaspora, etc,.
There is a need to divide the action plan in terms of stages or phases like commons.thefnf.org/index.php/Freenet_Ma...
My attempt to deconstruct the action plan. Feedback welcome and expected!
From a new member’s point of view
I believe we should empower the individuals initiated so far, to work on stage 2 Action at this point.